Super Bowl XLIX is right around the corner, and so are some of the Grand Strand’s best sports bars for guests at The Breakers Resort in Myrtle Beach. Sure, you can watch the game in the privacy and comfort of your oceanfront nest, but the Super Bowl is more than a game; it’s a social event. For those who prefer to get out and about for the big game, here’s a list of five can’t-miss sports bars in the Myrtle Beach area where you can celebrate (or drown your sorrows, depending on the outcome) with fellow fans.
* Broadway Louie's: This is the ultimate sports bar in Myrtle Beach, and Broadway Louie's also throws the ultimate Super Bowl party. Patrons pack this two-story sports bar and arcade to watch the big game and interact with fellow fans in the spirit of friendly competition. Food and drinks specials and contests and giveaways are all part of the festivities at this Broadway at the Beach hot spot. Big screen TVs occupy almost every available inch of the wall space and the crowd cheers and boos like they were actually at the stadium. If this place gets a bit too rowdy, check out Chuck and Ducks Sports Bar next door.
* Bumstead's Pub: This downtown Myrtle Beach establishment is a popular gathering spot on any football Sunday, but it goes all out for the Super Bowl. Offering food and drink specials, including the piled-high sandwiches from the adjoining Dagwood's Deli, Bumstead's is the perfect place to catch the game for small parties looking for a big party. Sit at a private booth and watch the game on your own in-booth screen or join the crowd in cheering in front of one of the many big screen TVs.
* Frank's CineBowl & Grill: OK, so this one isn't in Myrtle Beach proper but it's well worth the drive. Watch the Super Bowl while you bowl at this Murrells Inlet entertainment complex. Featuring a bowling alley and movie theater, Frank's offers a Super Bowl party package for up to six that includes unlimited bowling, shoe rental, drinks and appetizers as well as TVs where you can catch the big game while you play. The theater is located in a lounge setting so guests can enjoy dinner and the game. Wear an NFL jersey for the chance to win free movie tickets and other prizes. Groups can rent one of the private rooms to watch the game in a secluded setting.
* Handley's Pub: Located in the Carolina Forest section of Myrtle Beach, this English pub turns its attention to American football on Super Bowl Sunday. Food and drinks specials, contests and giveaways, and good times and camaraderie await a diverse crowd of locals, tourists, golfers and college kids. Enjoy an imported draft beer and some fish and chips, play a game of billiards and darts, and watch the Super Bowl on one of the many big screen TVs in the bar, including on the outdoor patio deck, weather permitting.
* Ultimate California Pizza Game Zone: This Restaurant Row arcade/pizzeria is ideal for families in which not every member cares about football. UCP Game Zone offers a sports bar with plenty of room and TVs for those who want to watch the Super Bowl, and lots of arcade games and delicious pizza for those who couldn't care less about the outcome. Dads can slip the kids a pocket full of tokens and game cards and step out to watch the big kids play on the big screen while the moms supervise, or vice versa.