There's a big difference between coming down with spring fever and March Madness, although it is possible to catch a bad cases of both at the same time. For basketball fans, getting their warm-weather fix in Myrtle Beach during the NCAA Basketball Tournament, it's a double dose of hoops and heat.
So what's a hot-blooded hoops fan to do during this sacred month of March, miss out on the action on the court or the action on the beach? For guests at The Breakers, you don't have to choose between the two. Here's a list of the top five places to catch the game after you soak up some sun:
* Beach Bummz Cafe: Located right next door to The Breakers, this old beach house is now a popular hangout for locals and tourists. Boasting “the best back yard in Myrtle Beach,” patrons can sit on the outdoor patio deck overlooking the beach or inside around one of the many TVs scattered throughout the bar. Grab a sandwich or some of Bummz famous chicken wings, wash it down with a cold beer and catch all the action from the comfort of a bar stool or beach chair.
* Broadway Louie's: The biggest sports bar in Myrtle Beach is also host to the biggest gathering of sports fans for the big events. Located at the popular Broadway at the Beach complex, Broadway Louie's attracts large crowds for the Super Bowl, World Series and especially March Madness. Featuring large screen TVs on the walls of the sports bar half of the building, Louie's also has a huge arcade for some hands-on play time. Enjoy great food and cold beer while you watch game after game, and stroll through the other bars in Celebrity Square after the games to celebrate your team’s big win.
* Bumstead’s Pub: This European-style pub has been a popular watering hole for sports fans since 1988. Located in the heart of downtown Myrtle Beach, locals and visitors flock to this small but spirited sports bar for the good-natured smack talk that takes place among fans of different team colors. Bumstead’s offers large screen TVs on the walls as well as smaller screens in each booth that allows guests to select which game and channel they want to watch. Order food from the menu or from the adjoining Dagwood’s Deli, which serves sandwiches piled so high you could stand on one and slam dunk flat-footed. Choose between a wide selection of draft and bottled beers, including rare craft brews, microbrews and imports.
* Overtime Sports Cafe: When the big games go into overtime, you want to head to Overtime for a front-row seat to all the action. Located in North Myrtle Beach, this two-story restaurant and bar is like a sports shrine. Featuring dozens of TVs occupying virtually every inch of wall space, OT's also has a sports memorabilia display case filled with interesting items of sports lore. The food and drink menu is extensive and tasty.
* Ultimate California Pizza GameZone: Why let the players have all the fun when the fans can get in some shots? Pop-A-Shot is just one of the many video games guests can play at the UCP GameZone, which is part arcade, part pizzeria and part sports bar. Fans can enjoy a slice of pie in the dining area, play video games in the arcade and catch all the hoops action at the sports bar in the back. Buy the kids a combo card of pizza and game tokens while you catch the games in the sports bar.