They say good news travels fast, and it must be true — because the word about Myrtle Beach being a major vacation destination has already traveled around the world. And while The Breakers Resort continues to host the traditional family vacationers that have been arriving by car for generations, the Grand Strand has also grown into a world-class vacation destination that welcomes guests from around the globe. Here are five reasons why Myrtle Beach has become a hot spot for international travelers:
* Air travel: Getting to Myrtle Beach by international flight used to involve a series of connections that could take the fun out of a vacation before you hit the ground, but those days are long gone after the recent expansion of Myrtle Beach International Airport. The $320 million airport terminal expansion that was completed in 2015 attracted more airlines, more destinations and more visitors arriving via international origination flights. Now featuring more than 30 nonstop destinations through eight airlines, including a direct flight to Toronto, Ontario, the new and improved Myrtle Beach International Airport has opened the door for more visitors around the world to discover the magic of the Grand Strand.
* Conventions/festivals: Myrtle Beach has a proud history of bringing people together, and that tradition has been taken to the next level with the facilities and hospitality offered by the Sun Fun Capital. The Myrtle Beach Convention Center is home to events and gatherings that attract visitors from all over the world to our sandy shores, and several annual festivals bring folks in for a fun time. For more than 50 years, Myrtle Beach has hosted Can-Am Days to welcome our friends from north of the border, and the Irish Italian International Festival, set for Sept. 24 at The Market Common, celebrates the diversity of cultures from all over the globe.
* Cost of living: Whatever the going exchange rate of your country of origin is against the U.S. dollar, you will get more bang for your buck in Myrtle Beach. Unlike major metropolitan areas and expensive vacation destinations like Miami, New York and Orlando, Myrtle Beach maintains a small-town feel that also comes at a more affordable price. The cost for a vacationing family of four is a fraction of what you can expect to shell out at larger cities with higher costs of living, and the quantity and quality of what you get for your hard-earned vacation dollar go a lot farther in Myrtle Beach.
* Honors: Myrtle Beach’s reputation for Southern hospitality is now world famous thanks to recent awards and accolades that have helped spread the word. Among the many honors bestowed on Myrtle Beach in recent years are “Most Popular Travel Destination” by TripAdvisor, “No. 1 Family Beach” by the Travel Channel and “Best Golf Destination” by USA Today/10Best. With the increase in international communications and social media, the news about Myrtle Beach has reached the far corners of the planet and sparked a new interest from a wide range of international travelers.
* Things to do: So here's the real reason folks are flocking to Myrtle Beach — the abundance of fun things to do and see. With all the thrilling attractions and entertainment venues, the incredible dining and shopping opportunities, and the world-class golf and water sports, it’s no wonder that international travelers are finally discovering the Grand Strand as the ultimate vacation destination.
Just as Myrtle Beach has blossomed into an international destination, The Breakers Resort has grown from a small boarding house in the 1930s into a major oceanfront resort. For visitors from around the world looking to plan their next vacation to the Grand Strand, enjoy a true Grand Strand tradition and experience by staying with us at The Breakers Resort, Myrtle Beach.