Myrtle Beach is constantly changing, with new attractions, events, restaurants and shops arriving on the growing scene every year. But deep down, beyond all the new neon and “Opening Soon” signs, is the same sand, surf and sun you fell in love with long ago. Myrtle Beach is still the fun family beach you grew up visiting, just with a few more bells and whistles.
The same can be said of the Breakers Resort, which has been giving its guests a great vacation experience for more than 80 years. Now featuring three buildings on the Myrtle Beach oceanfront, the resort has undergone several room makeovers and facility upgrades over the years, including a huge oceanfront deck with indoor and outdoor pools, four restaurants and many more amenities.
So when you are planning your Myrtle Beach vacation this year, be sure to stay at the Breakers Resort and leave your party plenty of time to check out what's new on the Grand Strand this year. Here are five new additions and renovated classics you can look forward to in 2016:
- Broadway at the Beach Changes: The most popular place in Myrtle Beach will see some changes in 2016. Although all the details have not yet been released, some of the moves are already under way. Planet Hollywood and Revolutions Dance Club closed their doors in 2015 and work has begun for redevelopment. The Hard Rock Cafe has requested a move from its famous pyramid building to a new locale, and several new shops and attractions are on the way.
- Downtown Improvements: The city of Myrtle Beach closed the stretch of Ocean Boulevard between Eighth and Ninth Avenues North to continue the downtown redevelopment project. Removing telephone poles, moving utilities underground and replacing the streets and sidewalks with more sophisticated brick work medians and crosswalks. The area has become a hot bed for major concerts, and 2016 features the California Roots Reggae Festival in April and the Second Annual Carolina Country Music Fest in June.
- Food Trucks: The Grand Strand boasts more than 1,700 restaurants, but until now exactly zero food trucks. That's because the mobile cafes were forbidden until a recent law change, and a couple of food trucks have already appeared at local events and parking lots. These aren't four-star restaurants but if you want to grab a taco or a BBQ slider on the go, it's perfect for hot food fast.
- Myrtle Beach Freedom: There's a new sports franchise in Myrtle Beach and organizers hope to follow in the success of our other home teams. One year after the Myrtle Beach Pelicans baseball team won the Carolina League championship and the Myrtle Beach Mutiny soccer squad made a run to the NPSL finals, the Myrtle Beach Freedom arena football team will begin play at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center in March. Jump on the Myrtle Beach sports bandwagon during your vacation.
- Myrtle Beach Marathon: The 17th anniversary of this major event sees a change of dates to warmer weather for the 10,000 participants in this two-day event. After being held in mid-February since its inception, including a Valentine's Day snow-out in 2014, the 26.2-mile Myrtle Beach Marathon and the 13.1-mile Dasani Half-Marathon races will take place March 5 this year. The Neon 5K and 1-mile family fun run will be held March 4th.
The Breakers Resort will also have lots of new things in store for guests to make your vacation experience a great one, like Kids Club activities and Sun & Fun Rewards benefits. Come enjoy all the things you love about Myrtle Beach and discover a few new ones while you are here.