There's something about a beach bar that no other inland watering hole can match. Maybe it’s the ocean view, or the sound of crashing waves accompanied by a classic beach-music tune, but the atmosphere created by friendly folks kicking back with a few drinks on the beach is a beautiful thing — especially for guests at The Breakers Resort in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Located on the oceanfront in the heart of Myrtle Beach's downtown district, The Breakers Myrtle Beach Resort is surrounded by beach bars and cafes where you can have a cold one on a hot day. In fact, guests don't even have to leave the resort property to enjoy good food and drinks at our oceanfront Tiki Hut, the Rusty Reel Oceanfront Bar & Grill, or the new Strong Waters Craft Cocktails & Kitchen. Guests can also stroll down the beach or Ocean Boulevard to find some great beachside watering holes.
Of course, an oceanfront pub crawl can be expensive — unless you know when and where to go. Many beach bars shy away from offering happy hour specials, since they know they can pack the house based on location alone. But there are several local bars within a short distance of The Breakers where you can party hard and spend lightly in the afternoon hours. Here are some of our guests' favorite oceanfront happy hours where you can take a break from the beach and sip on something cold:
* Bummz Beach Cafe: Located right next door to The Breakers, this former beach house now serves as one of the best seaside hot spots in town. Featuring a spacious backyard and patio deck, Bummz hosts live music during happy hour (4 to 6 p.m. daily), plus it offers some great drink specials, including $2.50 Natural Light drafts, $3.50 house wines and $4.25 liquor drinks.
* Dirty Don's Oyster Bar & Grill: Located on the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk near Plyler Park, this new oyster shack offers huge discounts on fresh seafood, as well as on beer. From 4 to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, Dirty Don's offers 50-cent oysters, peel-and-eat shrimp, mussels, clams and chicken wings. Wash them down with discounted drink specials, including $2 domestic drafts and $2.50 domestic bottles. By the way, there's also a Dirty Don's one block inland from The Breakers Resort on 21st Avenue North if you want to enjoy the food and drink without the ocean view.
* Eighth Ave Tiki Bar & Grill: This oceanfront bar on the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk hosts happy hour from 4 to 7 p.m. every day of the week. "8th Ave," as locals call it, offers $2 domestic beers, $3 well cocktails, $4 house wines and 20 percent off appetizers, including $5 Loaded Cheese Fries and $9 Calzones. The patio deck features excellent views of the ocean and of tourists roaming the Boardwalk.
* Pier View Open Air Bar: The southernmost spot on the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk offers one of the best views and venues in town. Located high atop the Second Avenue Pier, this open-air bar allows patrons to relax on cozy furniture and look out at the Atlantic Ocean while enjoying tasty drinks and appetizers. Happy hour is held from 4 to 7 p.m. from Mondays through Fridays, and it features $2 Bud and Bud Lite drafts and $3 houses wines and liquor drinks.
* Pier 14: Located on the north end of the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk, Pier 14 offers an excellent spot to take a break before heading back toward The Breakers. From 4 to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, Pier 14 offers half-price drink specials, including $2 domestic drafts and $3 house liquors. The kitchen serves $5 appetizers, such as Mozzarella Sticks, Calamari, Wings and Shark Bites.
After a fun happy hour at one of Myrtle Beach's best beach bars, head back to the oceanfront Breakers Resort to get ready for a big night on the town or to rest up for another day of fun.